Opting of the correct accounting and invoice software is a big decision for the businesses. It is a good sign if you are taking the bottom line seriously. It is seen that around 18% of the small businesses don’t use accounting software and only 21% of them have invoicing integrated.
If it is up to you to select the software to manage the finances, you need to make sure you opt for the correct software package. The following are the top tips to opt for the correct software for your business.
Know your needs
- The first requirement of finding the software is understanding your needs and seek for what you want in your billing software. Do you wish to perform simple tasks of tracking the time and sending invoices or need the software that can integrate with accounting software or any other system such as scheduling system?
- There is a lot to see. There are softwares that are hosted in the cloud and others are installed on the desktop computers. To evaluate the needs, you need to think how many people will require access to the billing information. Also, you need to think about how the software will be used. Depending on the size of your unit, you will even need to get others involved in the process as they’ll be the one using the software. Top Free and Open Source Invoicing and Billing Software
- You need to decide the budget for the invoicing software. There are a lot of different payment models that can influence the purchasing decision. Software that is based on the cloud has a monthly fee. If you pay yearly, there is some discount for the same. Billing softwares hosted by you and installed on your system will require more money upfront but also you won’t have to pay again till it is the time to upgrade.
- Never be afraid of spending money on the required resource. If you can invest in a full suite of services including accounting and billing, it is better as these can help you save money in the long run as they can also fix the tax deductions.
Industry specific invoice software
- Your business is unique and the software package you select must be unique for your business. A one-size-fits-all package may not work well for you.
- Different units have different needs and hence you have to opt accordingly. The general contractors have specific needs where they might need to consider something that focuses on the job costing and big management integrating with their accounting software.
Comparing features of different packages
- You need to carefully examine what every software package has to offer you and that is usually listed in the features. The first thing you need to look for is what type of information and data you will be able to include on the invoices. Some basic software keeps their logo, instead of the company logo. At such point you will have to upgrade the software in order to have your logo on the invoices.
- Also think whether you will be able to have your own invoice codes and different items including start and end dates?
Check for integrations
- Your business might be using multiple systems such as payroll, HR, accounting, billing and invoicing. In an ideal situation, these systems must be able to communicate with each other and should have all the required information on the dashboard.
- This helps to save a lot of time going from one system to another to find the information. Not only does it save time, but also the integration with other systems saves the time spent on the data entry work and results in reduced errors.
Ask for other companies
- Your accountant and colleagues may have ideas about which invoicing software can be used in your business unit. You can ask around to check what others are using to get ideas. You can later investigate all the solutions for yourself and check if they match your needs.
When you evaluate the invoice and billing software, you must prepare a list of questions that you and your team come up with to make sure that you are purchasing the correct solution for your office. There are a few of the common questions to ask yourself, you can alter the questions depending on your situation.
Is the software easy to use?
Are there any hidden costs such as fees to set up or other monthly costs?
Is there any kind of security included?
Can you customize the software for business?
The manner in which data is backed up and restored
Is there any kind of support? If yes, are there any additional costs for the technical support?
These are a few sample questions. You can prepare the list of questions as per your business and requirement.
- The statistics show that most of the small businesses shut down due to the cash flow issues. And you must not be one of them due to the sending invoice problems.
- The invoice software is designed to take the pressure of sending the invoices. Hence, when you opt for the package, make sure to check if the package is correct for you, analyze your needs and decide accordingly. You can also find the industry specific software for your unit. You may find that the software integrating with the HR system will be better for your business.