Mobile devices like smartphones and tablets have become tremendously popular in recent years. Modern devices are armed with the Best Bluetooth speaker, NFC, GPS, cameras, etc, which can be used for a wide array of functions like scanning barcodes, GPS tracking, and making payments, among others.
This is where mobile app development comes into play. Developers not only create mobile software to be used on these devices but also optimize them with all the advantageous features and hardware of such devices to maximize their operational efficiency. The best practice will be to hire an experienced mobile app development company to get a fully customized and flexible app for your business.
Considering the highly competitive business environment of today, companies are increasingly investing in creating mobile apps today. It is projected that the mobile applications market will generate a whopping $581.9 billion in revenue by the end of 2020.
Mobile apps allow companies to establish a direct connection with customers, improve the quality of their services, and increase the overall productivity of their marketing efforts.
What is mobile application development?
- Even though mobile app development borrows heavily from traditional software development practices, the two are very different. In the case of mobile devices, developers are required to design apps that are operable across a set of hardware. Any performance concerns are dealt with by designing apps as per the requirements of specific hardware components.
- As a result, mobile app development is relatively easier when it comes to Apple devices. However, with Android devices where differences in hardware and operating systems are much more pronounced, mobile app development becomes difficult.
App development can be of the following three types:
1. Native apps
- Native apps are unique to platforms that only use the software development tools and programming languages supported by the operating system in question. Android uses Eclipse and Java, while iOS uses Xcode and Objective-C. These apps explore a device’s full potential and provide optimal performance.
- Developers prefer native apps because of their performance, but it must also be kept in mind that creating these apps involves a time-consuming process. It is also very costly to develop apps individually for every platform. It is the principal reason why the Apple environment - apps and their performance in Apple products are considered to be significantly better than their Android counterpart.
- On the other hand, native app developers can create unique applications that can be integrated with wearables, smart screens, and several other smart home devices.
2. Web apps
- However, it must also be noted that while web apps may work efficiently for desktops, it is not so for mobile devices. And people spend most of their mobile time navigating apps, not web browsers. Based on a report by Statista, almost 204 billion app downloads were recorded in 2019. These numbers will no doubt multiply in the coming decade.
3. Hybrid apps
- Hybrid apps are more complex where a container is created in the native system, which embeds a web app within it. In this manner, hybrid apps can use the unique beneficial elements of each platform.
What Is Object-Oriented Programming?
- Object-Oriented Programming or OOP is the most popular paradigm of programming. Given its all-inclusive and functional approach, it is considered to be the standard way to write code.
- It relies on the concept of structuring a program into simpler, reusable segments known as a class. A class is an abstract blueprint of an object, which consists of several attributes. They also contain functions or methods that are defined within the particular class. Templates of class are used to create a specific individual object. Thus, each object has unique values and attributes defined within the class.
Benefits of using OOP
It structures complex data into simple and reusable classes
Encapsulation of information is one of the most important reasons this model is widely used
Every OOP-object can be used across different programs
It allows class-specific functions; hence it is easy to customize the program
Since the program is well structured, it is easier to debug
What is front-end web development?
- Essentially, there are two ends to app development. There is the back end, where developers are concerned with databases and what goes on behind the scenes; and front-end web development, where developers focus on how users will interact with the app. The front end is basically what the user sees on an app, including the design.
What is the best programming language for your app?
So now we come to the big question, which is the best programming language to use? To start with, there is no straight right answer to this question. There are several languages to choose from, each with its set of pros and cons. It can be quite confusing when you look at all these options, however, here are a few things you should check before you zero in on a programming language:
What is your targeted platform?
What is the purpose of your app?
How much time and financial support do you have?
Setting clear goals in this manner will help you achieve them strategically while managing risks if any. Once you have clarity with respect to your objectives, you will know which programming language is best suited to your requirements.
In any case, here are some of the most popular options for you to consider:
Kotlin - Kotlin is considered to be the advanced version of Java and has recently become very popular in Android app development due to extensive support from Google. It is also a clean, more versatile, and concise alternative for Java.
C++ - It is another popular language for mobile apps, especially for developing native apps, games, and other GUI-based applications.
Swift - It is an open-source language specifically designed for the Apple environment. It is flexible, scalable, and expressive.
Objective-C - An extension of the C language, it is the most popular language used by Apple developers.
So, which coding language is best for apps? Well, that's for you to decide. However, now that you have all the information you need, it shouldn't be too difficult. So, good luck with your mobile app! If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask us.
Author Name: Rajamanickam Rajan
Author Bio: Rajamanickam Rajan is the director at Skein Technologies, a leading web development company in Coimbatore. He has expertise in analyzing, designing, & developing hybrid and native applications.