For companies of any size, successful project management is key to success. Therefore, it's no surprise that as more and more of our tools and resources go digital, various project management apps have exploded in popularity and importance. Project management software provides a framework for the successful and efficient completion of a range of business-related projects. Additionally, project management software enables businesses to stay connected and organized, especially when organizations scale and grow. In the business world of today, you'd be hard-pressed to find a successful company or organization that doesn't utilize at least one project management tool.
However, like most products on the market, there's no shortage of options these days. Like walking through the supermarket and being faced with thirty different flavors of ice cream, there is much project management software available. So, as a business owner or manager, how do you know which one to choose? There's no perfect answer, but it's important to understand the capabilities of the project management software, what it could do for your business, and how it can take your projects to the next level.
Here, we're taking a closer look at what makes the best project management software. With this information, you'll be on the right track to find the perfect software for your needs.
What is Project Management Software?
- Project management software, in essence, keeps businesses organized, connected, and efficient. While various project management tools can be used for various functions, the core purpose is to aid in the successful completion of projects. This software enables companies to map out efficient planning and continual tracking of project components, stakeholders, and resources.
- In the modern business world, very few tasks or projects are completed by a single individual. Digital tools have also enabled us to connect and work with others worldwide, furthering our reach and our potential for collaboration. Project management software helps to keep this collaboration running smoothly.
- Let's look at an example. A digital marketing company is redesigning a client's website from the ground up. This is no easy task and will require the concerted efforts of web developers, content writers, SEO experts, and of course, the client's input. To keep everyone on the same page, you'll need a space for sharing, organization, and collaboration. This is where project management software comes into play. Using a project management program, all the various stakeholders and specialists will have a central place to stay organized, share ideas and content, and track timing, deadlines, and resources.
What Makes the Best Project Management Software?
Now that we understand the idea behind project management software, it's time to explore what makes the best project management software. Of course, there's no "one size fits all" approach when it comes to finding the best project management software for your team. The "best" software will always be determined by your needs, goals, and the specific dynamics of your team and projects.
Here are some key features to look for when selecting the right project management software:
- Planning and scheduling.
- As companies and organizations scale, detailed planning and precise scheduling become all the more important. The best project management software will work as a task management tool that keeps your projects moving efficiently. They will also enable you to have a broader-scale outlook on your projects so you can plan and schedule future projects and keep your current ones on schedule. With so many moving pieces, it's easy to let things fall through the cracks. Project management software will seal up those cracks and keep you organized.
- Identifying priorities.
- When your team has a hundred things to do, it can be challenging to identify your priorities. Project management software can help you prioritize, rank, and organize your tasks so that each team member will know what to focus on on a day-to-day or weekly basis.
- A core asset to project management software is enabling various team members and stakeholders to communicate, share, and work together on projects. Project management software should make file sharing safe and secure, and easy. Some may even have spaces where you can work on projects concurrently with other stakeholders. Additionally, some programs even have built-in messaging apps to enable smooth and consistent communication. In the age of working from home, these collaboration features have become even more vital. The software has a feature of customer support and provides resources for your company & business, such as help desk software.
- It would help if you didn't have to rely on Excel spreadsheets for all your documentation. Project management software allows you to document easily and track all your key data and resources and closely follow the evolution of your project. Having all your documentation in one place makes it easier to manage and organize this information and then share it with team members.
- Tracking and documenting a project are essential features, but how do you plan to measure your project's success? The best project management software will also include reporting features that can track and provide insightful KPI reports.
Effective project management is essential for the success of any business or organization. In our digital age, that means you're using the right project management software. However, with so many options on the market, it can be challenging to know which one is the best or best suited for your needs.
While it's impossible to crown just one software as the "best," there are certain features to be on the lookout for when choosing one for your organization. You'll want a program that helps you organize, plan, and schedule your tasks—all with an easy-to-use interface. You also want software that enables you to collaborate with other team members and resources easily. Effective project management software should also assist with documentation and develop a reporting feature to share and organize data. While there is no perfect tool, there's one out there to meet your project management needs.